Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Do You Have Balance?

When I started triathlon back in 2007 it was a way for me to get back in shape and be active again.  Up until about four months ago I spent every waking moment consumed with triathlon. Training, magazines, gear, racing, talking triathlon, friends, etc...  All my money was spent on the sport, whether that be on races or the latest and greatest new gear.  It was all my life was about and that was a BAD thing. To be honest with you I thought I was happy with that life, but that just wasn't the case.

When I moved to Texas this past February it gave me the opportunity to change that.  My passion for the sport burns deeper than it ever has, but I am more than just a "triathlete" these days.  Training and racing is still a top priority for me, however I don't let triathlon control my life like I used to.  I am spending time with family that has been long over due. Taking a weekend off of training to go bass fishing with my dad, having a late night watching my nephew play baseball, attending a Rangers game, concerts, or just other fun things in the Dallas area.

Doing all of those things has not taken away from triathlon, but giving me the balance that was lacking in my life in previous years.  I am faster, more fit, and in a better place than I have ever been in my life.  I can attribute that to having a better balance in my life than years past.

The great thing about all of this is I can now be called a son, brother, uncle, friend, and not just a triathlete!

Life is definitely good!

Do you have balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment